Expert for the Business Country Desk Platform
EBSOMED Project Background
EBSOMED is a 4-year project (2018-2022) financed up to 80% by the European Union for a global amount of EUR 6, 25 million. It is co-financed and coordinated by BUSINESSMED (The Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises) in the framework of the EBSOMED consortium which consists of 6 members: GACIC (German-Arab Chamber of Commerce), ASCAME (Association of Mediterranean Chambers of Commerce), ANIMA Investment Network, EUROCHAMBRES (Association of European Chambers of Commerce), CAWTAR (Center of Arab Women for Training and Research).
EBSOMED has been designed to dedicate particular emphasis to reinforcing Business Support Organisations’ management capacity and efficiency through instruments, providing capacity building and training to improve the sophistication of Euro-Mediterranean Private Sector Organisations and help them address existing gaps.
EBSOMED aims at achieving a higher indirect economic leverage by helping BSOs to make a qualitative scaling up in regards to the services they offer to their beneficiaries, while pursuing this successful cross border cooperation dynamic.
Objective of the Business Country Desk
The Business Country Desk, BCD, is an initiative designed by BUSINESSMED and is one of the key instruments implemented in the framework of the EBSOMED project (an EU co-funded project), in accordance with its action line “MED Link - Linking economic actors in the Euro-Mediterranean region”.
It is a platform, an online information service, designed to assist and stimulate trade and investment mainly in 10 Southern Mediterranean countries, as well as to initiate and develop North-South or South-South business partnerships between Mediterranean economic operators through the Regional Markets:
- Foreign Direct Investment - FDI
- Technology transfer
- Business Opportunities
- Trade & investment-oriented information
- Business Networking
In short, the platform:
- Provides access to reliable data shaping the business climate (Trade / Investment) of Southern Mediterranean countries
- Promotes, fosters and supports synergies, and networking & B2B opportunities
- Connects economic operators in the Euro-Mediterranean region, and initiates and develops North-South and/or South-South business partnerships
Purpose and Scope of the Expert’s mission
As part of this mission, the expert is required to conduct a study on the economic, regulatory, and political context, shaping the business climate of the Southern Neighbourhood Region.
The expert will work in close coordination with the BCD Officer in order to update the country sheets of Business HelpDesk Section of the BCD platform.
- Expert’s key responsibilities
- Update the country sheets (economic indicators, trade and investment regulations, business climate, infrastructure, partner countries, etc.) according to a streamlined structure and online consultation standards that the expert will provide;
- Identify each country's priorities and key economic sectors;
- Identify the growth sectors/markets in each target country;
- Ensure the periodic updating of the platform's documentary base, including the BCD’s Resources Section;
- Establish a solid contact database of economic actors involved in the target countries (The BCD’s Partnerships Section);
- Support the information’s outreach and analysis;
- Promote the BCD platform and attend the different events and workshops dedicated to it;
- Conduct sector studies / surveys.A Trade Guide in English and French for the target countries;
- A Trade Guide in English and French for the target countries;
- An Investment Guide in English and French for the target countries;
- 10 country Fact Sheets on trade and investment;
- Statistical data on 10 target countries;
- Contacts’ list (Directory of Entities) of relevant trade and investment actors in the target countries (BSOs, economic operators, enterprises, Licensing Authorities, Regulatory Bodies, Local Councils, etc.) following the data requested by the platform;
- A checklist on how to start a business in each of the 10 target countries (Important procedures to follow and bodies to contact);
- Constant monitoring in order to ensure the platform’s update.
- Geographical area to be covered
The field study covers 10 ENI South partner countries, beneficiaries of EBSOMED project.
Once selected, the expert will receive a detailed information stating the objectives, timeline and periodic deliverables within the current consultancy mission.
Key Qualifications and skills
- A senior Expert in Economics, business, or a related field;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in business development, consultancy and advocacy;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a Business Organisation;
- Excellent knowledge of the economic development model in the MENA region;
- An in-depth understanding of the political, cultural and socio-economic background of the Southern Mediterranean Neighbourhood;
- Expertise in trade, investment and international growth strategies especially in the Southern Mediterranean region;
- Acquaintance with Institutional Support Systems Development for the Business Organizations;
- Strong writing and proofreading skills both in English and French;
- Outstanding Research and analytical skills, accuracy and consistency.
Start date & Mission’s period
The planned start date is 8 March 2021.
The selected expert will be assigned to carry out his mission for a period of one year with the possibility of renewal of the contract subject to an amendment signed by both parties.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications (cover letter, resume and previous performance references) no later than 28 February 2021 to the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a review of the applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted by e-mail and invited to an interview.
BUSINESSMED is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates, regardless of gender and nationality, to apply.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.