Call for Expert - Business Country Desk Platform
EBSOMED is a 4-year project, extended for an additional year (2018-2023), co-financed at 80% by the European Union for a global amount of EUR 6, 25 million. It is co-financed and coordinated by BUSINESSMED (The Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises) in the framework of the EBSOMED consortium which consists of 6 members: GACIC (German-Arab Chamber of Commerce), ASCAME (Association of Mediterranean Chambers of Commerce), ANIMA Investment Network, EUROCHAMBRES (Association of European Chambers of Commerce), CAWTAR (Center of Arab Women for Training and Research).
EBSOMED has been designed to dedicate particular emphasis to reinforcing Business Support Organizations’ management capacity and efficiency through instruments, providing capacity building and training to improve the sophistication of Euro-Mediterranean Private Sector Organizations and help them address existing gaps.
EBSOMED aims at achieving a higher indirect economic leverage by helping BSOs to make a qualitative scaling up in regard to the services they offer to their beneficiaries, while pursuing this successful cross border cooperation dynamic.
The work of the Expert will be executed within the framework of both BUSINESSMED and the EBSOMED project and its outputs will feed into the achievement of their objectives.
The Union of Mediterranean Confederations of Enterprises is a regional organization that gathers Confederations of Employers Organizations from 20 Countries of the Euro- Mediterranean region.
Created in 2002, BUSINESSMED has become the main representative of the private sector in the Euromed region and a privileged platform for multilateral cooperation for the benefit of the employers’ confederations and more than 1’200’000 public and private affiliated companies by promoting foreign direct investments and socio-economic integration in the region.
As one of the main Business support organizations dedicated to multilateral cooperation in the Mediterranean, BUSINESSMED’S mission is to enhance exchanges and strengthen the Mediterranean business ecosystem by reinforcing regional cooperation, social dialogue, and policymaking.
About the Business Country Desk Platform
The Business Country Desk is a dynamic online portal, initiated by BUSINESSMED in the framework of the EU-funded project EBSOMED, in order to boost regional economic development in the southern Mediterranean Neighborhood. Besides, it confers the business community (companies, SMEs, start-ups, etc.) the unique opportunity to undertake sustainable business partnerships with their peers operating across the Euro Mediterranean and MENA region.
The BCD platform offers to its end users, a range of customized services mainly:
- Med Business HelpDesk: An open access to trade and investment related data shaping the business climate of 10 MENA countries;
- Partnerships’ section that Provides an intuitive directory of the main economic operators in the Euro-Mediterranean region
- The EuroMed Business Matching Tool that Allows BSOs and partners to organize and manage their own networking events (B2B and matching) through the platform
Purpose and Scope of the Expert’s mission
As part of this mission, the expert is required to conduct a study on the economic, regulatory, and political context, shaping the business climate of 10 Southern Mediterranean countries.
The expert will work in close coordination with the BCD Coordinator in order to update the country outlooks and to conduct a sustainability study of the BCD platform.
- Expert’s key responsibilities
- Update the country outlooks (economic indicators, trade and investment regulations, business climate, infrastructure, partner countries, etc.) according to a streamlined structure and online consultation standards that the expert will provide;
- Identify each country's priorities and growth sectors/markets in each target country;
- Ensure the periodic updating of the platform's documentary base, including the BCD’s Resources Section;
- Conduct a mapping of potential financial and technical partners, and the potential synergies with existing comparable initiatives;
- Provide recommendations to ensure the sustainability of the BCD platform.
- Updated Trade and investment Guides of 10 Southern Mediterranean countries;
- Statistical data on 10 target countries;
- 10 country Fact Sheets on trade and investment;
- Sustainability study of the BCD platform
- Mapping report on relevant technical and financial partners;
- Constant monitoring in order to ensure the platform’s update.
- Geographical area to be covered
The study covers 10 ENI South partner countries, beneficiaries of EBSOMED project.
Once selected, the expert will receive a detailed information stating the objectives, timeline and periodic deliverables within the current consultancy mission.
Key Qualifications and skills
- University Degree in Economics, business, or a related field;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in business development, consultancy and advocacy;
- Excellent knowledge of the economic development model in the Southern Mediterranean region;
- An in-depth understanding of the political, cultural and socio-economic background of the Southern Mediterranean Neighbourhood;
- Expertise in trade, investment and international growth strategies especially in the Southern Mediterranean region;
- Acquaintance with Institutional Support Systems Development for the Business Organizations;
- Strong writing and proofreading skills both in English and French;
- Outstanding Research and analytical skills, accuracy and consistency.
Start date & Mission’s period
The planned start date is August 1st 2022.
The selected expert will be assigned to carry out his mission for a period of 4 months with the possibility of renewal of the contract subject to an amendment signed by both parties.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications (cover letter, resume and previous performance references) no later than Friday 22nd July 2022 to the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a review of the applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted by e-mail and invited to an interview.
BUSINESSMED is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates, regardless of gender and nationality, to apply.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.